Sunday, March 20, 2011

Children needs Iron

Iron is essential for your child health as lack of iron leads to anaemia, which can hold back your child’s physical and mental development. Now not everyone knew, but according to health professionals, children who carry on drinking too much milk are most at risk. I have been researching about this as I am a little concern about my daughter’s development and I want to know if she is getting enough iron for her age. I found out that iron comes in two forms. One is found in meat and fish and is easily absorbed by the body. The other is found in plant foods and is not easy for the body to absorb.

Here are the two sources of irons:

Plant sources
• Fortified breakfast cereals
• Dark-green vegetables
• Breads
• Beans, lentils and dhal
• Tofu
• Dried fruit: apricots, figs, prunes

Animal Sources
• Lean beef, lamb or pork
• Chicken or turkey
• Sardines, pilchards, mackerel

No comments:

Post a Comment