Thursday, May 12, 2011

What to do with toddler refusing to use the potty

If your child shows no interest in using the potty, do not worry and never get angry at him or her as if your child sees the whole business as a battle of wills with you, it will be much harder. What you can do for the meantime is to take the pressure off, this mean giving up the potty and back to nappies for a while, or just living the wet life and not letting it get to you or your child down. I know how hard it is and very frustrating, but remind yourself that in the end, your child will somehow learn to use the potty. I have been through this, I started potty training my little girl at 2 years old and failed, so I stopped and start again at 3, I have bought 2 little potties and she would not even look at it and when I tried to take off her nappy and let her sit on the potty, she would cry and stand up screaming. So I stopped again and 4 months later, I bought some colorful potty training pants for her and a nice musical potty from fisher price with a reward chart and sticker. I also got a pack of balloons with a little pump to be the reward. So that means, every successful wee or pee on the potty she would get a sticker to place on the chart and a balloon too. Then, explained the whole process to her and surprisingly she responded well! It took a lot of patience and a couple of accidents on her pants as these potty pants really do not hold a lot of urine. Anyway, it took less than a week to get her to use the potty properly all by herself but I would still make her use a nappy every bedtime and when we are out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment