Monday, August 8, 2011

Switching from bottles to cups

My little girl is now 3 ½ years old and has just got off the habit of drinking milk from a baby milk bottle. She had been using a lidded feeding cup from around 7 month’s drinking water and juices with it but she refuses to drink milk on it. When she gets to 2 years of age, she started to drink water and juices on the cup without a lid, but still refuse to drink the milk on it. So practically at this age my toddler is still drinking toddler’s formula milk, but she does take cow’s milk on a cereal.

Recently I noticed that she likes drinking little cartoon juices with straws on it, so it had given me an idea to use colourful bendy straws on a cup of milk for her to a least try to sip it. She is now 3 ½ years old and has been eating well, so I have totally decided to give her cow’s milk instead of formula milk and that she should be drinking it on a cup.

So got her a box of colourful bendy straws and the next day when she asks for milk, I told her I forgot to buy her usual milk, but there is a cow’s milk on the refrigerator and it is just the same as her usual milk, the only thing is that cow’s milk should be on a cup. Showed her the straws and she liked it! She had a sip on it, but did not drink it all. It took her 3 days to get used to it and now, she is really drinking cow’s milk on a cup, with a straw. Over all, I am happy with this development and I am now thinking of a next move, and that is to totally let her drink from a cup without straws!

No comments:

Post a Comment